“Birdhouse – Birdfeeder – Birdbath – Installation Rules”
Most installation rules for birdhouses, bird feeders, and birdbaths are pretty straight forward with a little thinking and planning. Below are some installation rules to consider:
Birdhouse Installation Rules:
- Birdhouse openings point away from dominant winds.
- All birdhouses should be mounted at least 5’ off the ground, some birds prefer higher.
- Always have a birdhouse perfectly level or slightly tipped forward.
- Bluebirds have a 5 acre territory, but it can be cheated by placing birdhouses between obstacles like buildings, trees, and high bushes.
- Always have a Predator Guard on every birdhouse.
- Point the opening of Bluebird Houses to an open area/field.
- Nuthatch and Chickadee houses can be installed near a thicket or treed area, but ensure you point the entry hole opening to an open area.
- If you have lots of squirrels around don’t install a flicker house on a tree
- Never install a birdhouse by hanging it from wire or rope as this allows the house to swing.
- The best place to install a birdhouse is on its own pole
- Installing a birdhouse on/above a fence is OK in some cases
- Woodpeckers need to have the nesting material replaced with woodchips every year
- Never use brown stained or painted wood to build a birdhouse as it attracts wasps
- Putting out dryer lint and hair in onion bags in the spring is a great idea for nesting material.
- Purchase Handmade Birdhouses
- Never install any birdhouse or bat house above a garage door, a barbecue, fire pit, or any vent coming from the house (dryer, sink, hot water tank, …).
Bat House Installation Rules:
- The color of a bat house is all about heat. Bat Houses in Canada are black and in Texas are white.
- Guide for bat house colors based off of Latitude:
- Black – above latitude 45 degrees
- Gray – between latitude 40 degrees and 45 degrees
- White – below latitude 40 degrees
- The goal is to maintain a daytime temperature in the bat house between 72-90 degrees.
- In most areas of the country if the bat house faces south or west it needs to be shaded from the sun after 11AM.
- Purchase Bat Houses
Bird Feeder Installation Rules:
- Birdfeeders should be installed in open areas to allow birds to see predators coming.
- If deer are in the area install birdfeeders high by adding extensions to shepard poles.
- If you live in Bear country birdfeeders need to be taken in every evening. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- To help avoid lethal window collisions install feeders within 2′ of windows if possible.
- Purchase Birdfeeders
Birdbath Installation Rules:
- Install a dripper in each birdbath if yard is irrigated to avoid having to fill everyday.
- Install pedestal birdbaths level on a paver stone or piece of flagstone. Never directly on dirt as dirt settles.
- Purchase Birdbaths
To talk directly with The Bird Man fill out our Contact Us form and we will call you back shortly.